1/21/21

Twenty-One Books for 2021

 

I'm going to try very hard to read books that I already own this year before I buy any more! Only one book in this stack is from the library (The Favorite Daughter). But here are 21 books I want to read in 2021 with a short description of each.

News of the World by Paulette Jiles  - Post Civil War traveling older gentleman returns young girl who was captured by Kiowa. Richards Girls book club pick.

Saving Ruby King by Catherine Adel West - Ruby King's mother is murdered which leaves her in jeopardy living alone with her father. Only her best friend can help. Community book club pick for January.

The Favorite Daughter by Patti Callahan Henry - Family betrayal keeps one daughter estranged for ten years. As the father's health deteriorates, she returns home to face the past. Buddy read with Carolyn.

Becoming Elisabeth Elliot by Ellen Vaughn - Biography of Elisabeth Elliot whose husband was killed in 1956 while they were serving as missionaries in Ecuador. 

Be Still My Soul by Elisabeth Elliot - Reflections on living the Christian life.

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict - True story of Hollywood icon and scientist, Hedy Lamarr.

Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar - Fictional account of the biblical story of Rahab.

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport - Choosing a focused life in a noisy world.

Devotedly, by Valerie Elliot Shepard - The personal letters and love story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot as put together by their daughter, Valerie, who was 10 months old when her father was killed in Ecuador.

Separation Anxiety by Laura Zigman - A middle-aged woman copes with anxiety by carrying her Sheltie around in a baby wrap. Had to get this one because of the cover (and the Sheltie).

You Never Forget Your First by Alexis Coe - A biography of George Washington. Community book group pick for February.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - A classic I have always wanted to read.

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough - A book my mom loved so I have always wanted to read it.

Jesus on Every Page by David Murray - Summary of the way the Old Testament points to Jesus.

Knowing God by J. I. Packer - A classic Christian book I have yet to read.

A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza - I was supposed to buddy read this one with Katherine a couple of years ago and I copped out. 

The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline - Historical fiction -  Two women are sent from England to the penal colony of Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) in Australia (1840's).

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict - Fictional story explaining why Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926.

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Watkins - A modern Southern Gothic twist on Jane Eyre only this time Jane is a young, broke dog walker who has a problem with kleptomania. 

Where I Come From by Rick Bragg - Collection of columns from Southern Living and Garden & Gun. Pulitzer Prize-winning author shares stories and history from the Deep South.

White Ivy by Susie Yang - A young Chinese girl from an immigrant family becomes obsessed with a privileged classmate and it gets her in too deep. Psychological thriller. Hope it's not too scary!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment