3/31/18
What I Read in March
Here are the six books I read in March:
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
Rating: 4
Fiction
A young African-American couple has only been married one year when Roy is falsely accused of a crime and sent to jail. Celestial has a difficult time holding on to the marriage while she waits for her uncle to try to get him released. She and her childhood friend begin a new life together but when Roy is pardoned after five years, he wants his beloved wife back. Heart-wrenching love story.
If You Only Knew: My Unlikely, Unavoidable Story of Becoming Free by Jamie Ivey
Rating: 5
Memoir
Jamie Ivey, one of my favorite podcasters, encourages us to be real with people we can trust. For years, she was ashamed of her past and hid her most vulnerable self from others. She felt like an imposter until she was able to open us and tell her story. We all wish we had perfect lives without regrets, but that's just not possible. Jamey shares how the redemption and love of Jesus freed her to be who she really is.
Home: A Memoir of my Early Years by Julie Andrews
Rating: 3
Memoir
The early years of Julie Andrews' life were not easy. Her parents split up when she was very young. Each of them remarried, so her family became complicated. Her musical talent was discovered early by her stepfather, and she traveled around with him and her mother performing one-night shows all over England. The book covers the years 1935-1962, so she writes about how she got started with musicals in America. Although I enjoyed learning about this part of her life, I thought the style of the writing was repetitive and slow.
Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin
Rating: 2
Fiction
I picked this book up on a whim from the Large Print section at the library. I guess I liked the cover. I almost stopped reading it three times, but I kept thinking it would get better. It didn't. It is a fictional story about a young woman who has an affair with a married Congressman. When they are found out, she has to move to another city and change her name. Did not like this book at all.
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
Rating: 5
Memoir
Trevor Noah's crazy life growing up in apartheid South Africa. I loved the portrayal of his mother throughout the story. Excellent book.
James for You by Sam Allberry
Rating: 5
I'm studying the book of James these days, and this commentary is the best one I have come across. Simple to read, yet very thought-provoking in is discussions. This is a great series (God's Word for You) published by The Good Book Company.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment