10/5/17

Adventures with an Acorn Squash

I went to the Hartville Flea Market with Carolyn on Monday. The parking lot was filled with booths manned by local farmers selling their fall crops. There were pumpkins and apples and many forms of squash.

I'm afraid of squash like I am afraid of yeast, but for a different reason. I can never get yeast to rise, and I can't cut through a squash.

Maybe my knives are dull. Actually, I know my knives are dull. I've been meaning to sharpen them for the past 30 years. But I've become used to dull knives, and if I sharpen them, I'm sure I will cut off a finger or two.

Carolyn convinced me to buy a squash - a lowly acorn squash. I have to admit, it is rather cute. Of all the squashes out there, it seemed the least formidable. She even gave me a recipe to cook it.

So today I cooked my very first squash, and I still have all my fingers!

Here's the recipe:

Roasted Acorn Squash

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the squash in half through the stem. Discard seeds (like a pumpkin).

Fill a rimmed cookie sheet with 1/2 inch of water and place the squash cut side down. Bake for 30 minutes. Drain water.

Mix 1 T. melted butter with 1/4 cup brown sugar and fill the center of each squash half.

Bake another 30 minutes, or until tender.

If you want to impress someone, sprinkle a little nutmeg on top. Otherwise, dig in! I was delicious. Tasted like dessert!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: