Don and I went out to dinner tonight.
We planned on a nice, intimate evening at a table for two.
We were seated at a table for two, but our table had one seat on a bench that was next to two other tables for two.
Each table was about 28 inches square and they were about two feet apart. I sat on the bench; Don sat on the chair.
It wasn't long before a couple was seated to our left. I noticed them because the gentleman sat on my jacket. His jacket was on the chair next to Don, and his date sat to the left of him.
Don raised his eyebrow at me. I raised mine back.
The couple was in their mid-40's maybe, and we surmised that they were not married. Why else would they squish next to each other on the bench, leaving the chair empty, having only 14 inches each for their place settings?
When the waitress came by, she asked if he was going to sit there. He said, "Yes, we weren't close enough."
Don't worry, it gets better.
They ordered drinks and took their time with the menu. They had other things on their mind such as embracing and kissing. I'm glad I didn't have to look at them -- except out of the corner of my eye. Don tried hard not to make eye contact.
After they ordered their dinner, they both got up and left the table. Don thought they decided to get a room, but they left their jackets, so I said they probably just went to the restroom - together.
While they were gone, the extremely efficient bus boy came over and cleared their drinks. Then he came back and cleared their silverware, napkins and everything else that was on the table. Apparently, he didn't see their jackets. I was going to stop him, but Don was enjoying the scene.
Then I got the giggles and could not stop laughing. You know how it is. I had tears running down my cheeks. I told Don he'd better start up a serious conversation with me, or I was going to embarrass us both when the couple returned.
(I had too much wine, and for me, that was one glass).
Don got real serious and tried to snap me out of it, and I played along. But I couldn't stop myself from looking out of the corner of my eye at the couple when they returned to their cleared table.
It didn't even phase them! They just started kissing and embracing again.
Ughh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Only you, Marianne... only you! hahaha
ReplyDelete