I used to make meatloaf all the time when we first got married. The recipe was from Don's mom, and it was one of his favorite dishes. Somehow it got lost in the shuffle and I stopped making it along the way.
I remember it involved tomato soup on top and sliced potatoes on the side. I tried to recreate it the other day using a recipe from Cooking with Paula Deen. Here's my slightly modified version.
Fortunately, it was gluten free so I could eat it too. Very moist and tasty! Makes a huge loaf. You can cut the recipe in half.
Meatloaf
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups ketchup, divided
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 small onion, minced
1 small red bell pepper, minced
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. dried basil
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together everything except 1 cup of the ketchup. Mix with your hands to form it into a large loaf. Place on prepared pan.
Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 150 degrees - about 45-60 minutes. Spread remaining 1 cup ketchup onto meatloaf and bake 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No, no, no. Do not put ketchup in meatloaf. Is ketchup even edible? Lol
ReplyDeleteHa, ha! I am pretty sure it is edible. Donna used Campbell's tomato soup.
Delete