It's been three days since my last post, so I thought I'd better get one out here before I get a text from Pam. She always kicks me in the rear end if I miss a few days! She's my blog accountability partner.
Before Christmas, Katherine asked me if I wanted to do the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2017 Reading Challenge with her. Of course I said YES!
There are two different options for the challenge. One is called "Reading for Fun" and the other is called "Reading for Growth." We both chose the latter one. I guess we aren't much fun!
I went through the categories and wrote down a probable book for each one. I can always change my mind later. Here is what I will likely read:
A Newbery Award or Honor book: The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
A book that's more than 600 pages: Nicholas and Alexandra: The Classic Account of the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty by Robert Massie
A book of poetry, a play, or an essay collection: Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays by Joan Didion
A book of any genre that addresses current events: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander and Cornel West
An immigrant story: The Mango Bride by Marivi Soliven
A book published before you were born: To Sir, With Love by E. R. Braithwaite
Three books by the same author: The Water is Wide, South of Broad, and A Lowcountry Heart by Pat Conroy
A book by an #ownvoices or #diversebooks author: Wonder by R. J. Palacio
A book with an unreliable narrator or ambiguous ending: The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
A Pulitzer Prize or National Book Award winner: News of the World by Paulette Jiles
A book nominated for an award in 2017: (Yet to be determined)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Stephanie and I are also doing this book challenge. However, we are reading for fun!
ReplyDeleteOoh! Let me know what you end up reading!
DeleteI definitely need to read more this year so I'm going to do it too! I'm going to go with the fun list!
ReplyDelete