10/29/15

Sour Cream Corn Bread

Ina Garten is another cookbook author whose cookbooks I collect. Many of her recipes are easy, and all of the ones I have tried are very tasty.

Ina created Make It Ahead because the most common question she receives from people is, "Can I make it ahead?" When Ina owned a specialty food store in East Hampton, New York, that's what she did most of the time - make food ahead. So this cookbook draws on that expertise.

I made Sour Cream Corn Bread which can be made the night before and toasted in the morning for breakfast. Mine came out a little flat, so I was worried it would get stuck in my toaster. It was still good eaten right out of the oven.

Sour Cream Corn Bread

2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
3 cups flour
1 cup Bob's Red Mill medium grind yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 T. kosher salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3/4 c. sour cream
2 extra large eggs (I used two large eggs and one egg white), at room temperature
Salted butter and strawberry jam for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line the bottom of two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 inch loaf pans with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, and eggs and then slowly whisk in the melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix them together with a rubber spatula, until combined. Don't over mix!

Pour the batter into the prepared pans, smooth the top, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Place the pans on a rack and cool completely.

When ready to serve, slice the corn bread, toast it, and serve with salted butter and strawberry jam.

I think my loaf pan was too big.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment