10/1/15

Pig Candy

My first cookbook exploration was The Kitchy Kitchen by Claire Thomas (2014). I thought the cover was really cute, and I also thought the author was about 18 years old. I was impressed that she had produced such a nice cookbook.

Turns out she is in her late 20's (I think). Still, she has done quite well for herself. Claire blogs at The Kitchy Kitchen, and she has a YouTube channel as well.

There were several good looking recipes in her book that I wanted to try, but I settled on one of the simplest ones for my first day.

In the "Entertaining in a Snap" section toward the back on page 241 is a recipe called Pig Candy. It has three ingredients (love that). I think this appetizer would be perfect for a Superbowl party.

The recipe says it makes enough for 4 servings, but I could have eaten the entire bowl myself. Dangerous to make when you are home alone. I fed a piece to Riley, and he was in heaven.


Pig Candy

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
8 slices thin-cut bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Blend brown sugar and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.
Place bacon on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet covered with foil.
Coat each piece of bacon with an even layer of sugar mixture (enough that you can't see the bacon).
Bake 15 minutes.
Remove tray from oven and turn bacon. Coat other side with sugar and return tray to oven for 10 more minutes (more if the bacon doesn't look done yet).
Let the bacon cool for at least 15 minutes. Cut into pieces with kitchen scissors.


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment