10/23/15

Guacamole

I am a late comer to Guacamole. For years I would not try it. Then Katherine convinced me to try Chipotle's guacamole, and I was hooked.

Josh makes a mean guacamole (or so I've heard) but I've never tried to make it. Alice Waters, in her cookbook, The Art of Simple Food had a very basic recipe that looked simple to do.

Before I tried it though, I watched a YouTube video to see how to cut open an avocado. The video also showed a method of mixing things up if you don't have a mortar and pestle - use a fork.

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados (use Hass if you can find them)
1 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. finely chopped onion (I used green onions)
2 T. chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Cut avocados in half and remove pits. Scoop the flesh out of the skins with a spoon into a mortar and mash it roughly with a pestle.

Stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste and add more salt and lime juice as needed.

Notes: I used a glass bowl and a fork to mash the avocado. If you are not going to serve the guacamole right away, put one of the avocado pits in with it and press cling wrap directly on top to keep from browning.

Served with Rolled Tostidos
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. That is too funny because I just tasted guacamole for the first time (from chipotle) the other day when Liz was eating it. She has been working on me for years. I admitted that it might be OK, Lol. Still don't think I will be whipping up a bowl anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will grow on you. This recipe is sooooo delicious! And so simple. I'll never buy guacamole again.

      Delete
  2. Why does the time say I posted at 5:29 a.m.? I was not awake at 5:29 a.m. this morning.

    ReplyDelete