Keepers by Kathy Brennan & Caroline Campion is a cookbook of tried and true recipes by these two home cooks. I figured if they were really keepers, they should all be great recipes.
Tonight I needed a side dish to go along with my pork tenderloin, so I made these potatoes. The lemon made these potatoes stand out. I loved them.
Boiled Baby Potatoes
1 1/2 pounds small red or white skinned potatoes
Salt
3 T. unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
Juice from 1/2 small lemon
Coarsely ground black pepper
Handful of fresh dill, chopped
In a medium saucepan, combine the potatoes and enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Salt the water so that it tastes like seawater. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Place the pot over medium heat, shaking occasionally, to dry out the potatoes, about 1 minute. Off the heat, add the butter and lemon juice and season with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
Put the lid on the pot and shake vigorously. You want the potatoes to break up a bit so the flavorings get under the skins. If they need a little help, crush slightly with a fork. Check the seasonings, then add the dill, shake again, and serve. (If you aren't serving the potatoes right away, hold off on adding the dill because it quickly starts to discolor.)
Notes: I did not use the dill. I used a strange kind of potato. They were oval shaped and sort of brownish red, so I cut them in half. I also think I cooked them a little too long. That's why they appear mushy. But they were delicious anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment