About Alice by Calvin Trillin is a short book remembering his wife who passed away on September 11, 2001. She did not die in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. She died in a hospital emergency room awaiting a heart transplant.
Alice's heart would have been just fine, but she had undergone radiation for lung cancer 25 years earlier, and irreparable damage was done to her heart. Alice was one of the 15% of people who get lung cancer without ever having smoked a cigarette.
Calvin Trillin has published more than 300 pieces for The New Yorker as well as 18 books. His writings are sometime serious, but mostly humorous pieces.
I listened to this book using the Audible APP on my phone yesterday while painting Daniel's upstairs bathroom. There is no mistaking the fact that Calvin Trillin loved his wife. This book includes many stories about life with her and his two daughters. I laughed and I cried. This little book is a treasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment