Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where is Fiji?

I thought I'd better find out where the Fiji islands are located. Daniel is on his way there right now. Since geography is my worst subject, I looked it up on a map.

It's very, very far away. It's in the South Pacific Ocean between Australia and New Zealand. It's going to take two days to get there because they cross the international date line. I would not want to be on that plane.

Daniel is traveling with 15 students from Miami University during his spring break. He is very involved in CRU (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ) on campus, and on this trip, Miami students will help train CRU students at a university in Suva.

Two years ago when a group from Miami went to Fiji, there was a threat of a serious tsunami. I'm praying the weather is calm next week!

Here are some fun facts about Fiji:

It consists of 332 islands, with 112 of them inhabited.

Suva is the capital of Fiji, and that's where Daniel will be staying for most of the trip.

They Make really expensive bottled water.

Cannibalism ended there in 1867.

Most people speak English along with their native language of Fijian.








No comments:

Post a Comment