Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Good Eggs


For years my hard-cooked eggs came out bad. They were either under cooked, over cooked or green. One day I really needed to make some good eggs, so I emailed my sister who always knows the answer to everything, and she told me how to make them.

Her formula works! I wish I could memorize it. Every time I need to make hard-cooked eggs, I have to consult my recipe book where I have stored her response email.

Since Easter is coming soon, and it's always fun to color eggs, this recipe will come in handy.

Two keys to making good eggs: They should be about a week old (from when you buy them) AND Never let them out of your sight (timing is everything).

1. Place as many eggs as you want in a saucepan that is big enough to hold them without letting them touch and tall enough to cover them by two inches of water.

2.  Bring the water to a rolling boil over high heat.

3.  Boil for EXACTLY five minutes (set the timer).

4. Turn off the heat and move the pan to an unused burner.

5.  Cover the  pan with a tight-fitting lid. Set the timer for 15 minutes.

6.  When the timer goes off, immediately drain the eggs and cover them with very COLD water. When the water warms up, drain the pan and transfer the eggs to a cold bowl and cover the eggs with very COLD water again.

7. Drain the water and let eggs cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Peel or refrigerate for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment