Friday, March 8, 2013

Fierce Competitors


Don and Peter have something in common: they love to play games. Don taught him to play chess and cribbage along with a multitude of card games and board games. Whenever Peter was bored, Don would ask him if he wanted to play a game. Peter never said no.

Peter gradually got to the point where he could occasionally beat Don, and that was fine.

Now that Peter is in college, they have graduated to playing iPhone App games like Words With Friends (similar to Scrabble), Hanging with Friends (similar to Hangman), and Scramble with Friends (similar to Boggle).

In Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends, they are pretty even on wins and losses, but in Scramble with Friends, Peter consistently beats Don by a lot. I hear him screaming, "he beat me again!...I don't know how he does it. He must know some trick I don't know." It frustrates Don to no end. I just laugh.

I don't know, it might be that Don is getting old and doesn't have the reflexes of an 18 year old any more. In the game, you only have two minutes to come up with as many words as you can with the 16 letters they give you. To top it off, you have to slide your finger around the little screen to make the words.

I'm glad they enjoy playing. I'm sure it give Peter a much needed break from his studies and a smile on his face when he wins again!

No comments:

Post a Comment