This beautiful Christmas hymn was originally published as a poem titled "A Christmas Carol" by English poet Christina Rossetti in 1872. It was put to music and titled "In the Bleak Midwinter."
A Christmas Carol
In the bleak mid-winter Frosty wind made moan Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak mid-winter Long ago.
Our God, heaven cannot hold Him Nor earth sustain, Heaven and earth shall flee away When He comes to reign: In the bleak mid-winter A stable-place sufficed The Lord God Almighty — Jesus Christ.
Enough for Him, whom cherubim Worship night and day, A breastful of milk And a mangerful of hay; Enough for Him, whom Angels Fall down before, The ox and ass and camel Which adore. | Angels and Archangels May have gathered there, Cherubim and seraphim Thronged the air; But only His Mother In her maiden bliss Worshipped the Beloved With a kiss.
What can I give Him, Poor as I am? — If I were a Shepherd I would bring a lamb; If I were a Wise Man I would do my part, — Yet what I can I give Him, — Give my heart. |
Christina Rossetti, (1872)
Follow the link below to hear Kristyn Getty sing the hymn. The introduction is by our pastor, Alistair Begg.
In the Bleak Midwinter
No comments:
Post a Comment