2/3/24

The Remains of the Day

 

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Rating: 5
Literary Fiction


The Remains of the Day was published in 1988 and was the winner of the Booker Prize in 1989. I don't know where it has been all my life but I am glad I finally found it. It was made into a film starring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson (1993). Have you seen it? I now want to!

I read somewhere that this book was one of the major influences on Julian Fellowes as he developed the Downton Abbey series.

Mr. Stevens, an aging, long-time butler at Darlington Hall, is encouraged by his new employer (an American named Mr. Faraday) to take a road trip to get away on a vacation. After some consideration, Mr. Stevens decides to visit Miss Kenton, a former housekeeper who left 20 years earlier to get married. He had recently received a letter from her that made him think Miss Kenton might be willing to return to Darlington Hall.

Along the six-day motoring trip, Stevens makes several stops and reminisces about his career serving as Lord Darlington's butler. He considers how the role of dignity played a part in the lives of the finest butlers, including his own father. He looks back on his career and the choices he made to uphold his role. 

I'm surprised this book did not make me cry, but my heart was broken in a couple of places as I watched the fear of letting his guard down hold Stevens back from experiencing love.

A+ on this one.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment