4/16/23

Love and Saffron

 

Love and Saffron: A Novel of Friendship, Food, and Love by Kim Fay

Rating: 4

Epistolary Fiction, Women's Friendship Fiction

"There is unequaled satisfaction in composing words on a blank page, sealing them in an envelope, writing an address in my own messy hand, adding a stamp, walking it to the mailbox, and raising the flag. It's like preparing a gift, and I feel like I receive one when a letter arrives --yours most of all."

That was one of my favorite quotes from Love and Saffron, a novel told in letters. The 1960s was a simpler time to live and that added to the specialness of this book. It reminded me a little of 84 Charring Cross Road by Helene Hanff.

Through correspondence, 27-year-old Joan, whose mother loves magazine subscriptions, and Mrs. Imogen Fortier, a writer for Northwest Home & Life, develop a friendship by discussing unique foods and recipes. It doesn't take long for them to begin writing about more personal events in their lives, and they become close friends.

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I may have shed a few tears at the end. I only wish the book was three times as long.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment