11/1/22

Reading Plan

I have not been reading much lately, at least not much in the way of fiction. I've read a lot of cookbooks, home decorating books, and Bible study books. In order to jump-start my reading life again, I decided to challenge myself to read five books in the months of November and December (the busiest months of the year)! We'll see how this goes. Below is the plan.

November Books

Fiction: 

The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall - A national bestseller and a "Read with Jenna" book published in 2019. The story follows two couples through decades of love and friendship, jealousy and understanding, forgiveness and commitment. Literary Fiction.

How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water by Angie Cruz - In her mid-fifties, Cara Romero loses her job in the Great Recession. When she is forced back into the job market for the first time in decades, she is set up with a job counselor and begins to narrate her life story. Not at all sure what this is about, but I thought I would try it. Literary Fiction; Hispanic American Literature.

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict -  A fictional memoir about Hedy Lamarr, an Austrian-born film star who escaped to Hollywood during World War II. With no formal training, she was a brilliant scientist whose invention of "frequency hopping" was instrumental in fighting the Nazis. I'm 2/3 of the way through this one already.

Non-Fiction:

Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elisabeth Elliot - Hard times come for all in life with no real explanation. When we walk through suffering, it has the potential to devastate and destroy, or to be the gateway to gratitude and joy. Elisabeth Elliot's husband Jim Elliot was murdered by the Waorani people in Ecuador in 1956, and her second husband lost his battle with cancer. In this book, she writes about how in her deepest suffering she learned the deepest lessons about God.

Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot - This is my November morning devotions book.

December Books

Fiction:

The Holiday Swap by Maggie Knox - When chef Charlie Goodwin gets hit on the head on the L.A. set of her reality baking show, she loses her critical ability to taste and smell. Meanwhile, Charlie's identical twin, Cass, is frantically trying to hold her own life together back in their quaint mountain hometown. All they want for Christmas is a different life. So they do something they haven't done since they were kids - they switch places. Sounds like a fun story.

Lucy by the Sea by Elizabeth Strout - As a panicked world goes into lockdown, Lucy Barton is uprooted from her life in Manhattan and goes off to a small town in Maine with her ex-husband, William (from her book, Oh William!). For the next several months, it's just Lucy and William by the sea. I love Elizabeth Strout's writing, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Non-Fiction:

These Precious Days by Ann Patchett - Reflections on home, family, friendships, and writing make up this personal collection of essays by Ann Patchett - author of The Dutch House which was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.

Knowing God by J. I. Packer - First published in 1973, this is a contemporary classic that I've been meaning to read for years. 

Emmanuel: an Invitation to Prepare Him Room at Christmas and Always by Ruth Chou Simons - If there's one name for Jesus that captures the whole heart of God, it is Emmanuel - which means God with us. Ruth Chou Simons is an author, artist (I have some of her artwork in my house), and mother of six boys. This will be my December morning devotions book.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment