7/20/15

Prepopik


I debated whether or not to mention my colonoscopy prep on the blog because who wants to think about such things?

But I determined that this might help someone who is putting off having the dreaded test because of the horrible tasting, nasty drinks that are on the market.

Prepopik is a relatively new prep drug (FDA approved it in 2012). My doctor at the Cleveland Clinic OK'd it, so I decided to give it a try. The cost was $120, but my insurance paid for half of it. It was worth every penny to me.

In 2007, I tried Fleet's Phospho Soda. This prep was taken off the market in 2009 because it caused kidney failure in too many patients. It also tasted so bad I had nightmares for three years.

In 2010, I used GoLYTELY. This prep not only tasted bad, but I had to drink a gallon of it.

I took Prepopik in two 5 ounce doses, followed by 5 (8 ounce) glasses of water for the first dose and 3 (8 ounce) glasses of water for the second dose. The two doses were spaced eight hours apart.

Prepopik did not have a bad taste. It was something like a thick Sprite. I mixed the powder with cold water and drank it quickly through a straw. Drinking the extra water was no problem at all.

The only complaint I have about Prepopik is that it took about six hours to take effect. This meant I was up all night. My doctor told me she has heard this complaint from several patients.

Overall, I would use Prepopik again. Fortunately, it will be five years before I have to do that.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment