7/23/15
Lifelong Learning
I love to learn new things, especially in the areas of history, literature, Bible and the arts. I don't have any interest in the sciences: biology, chemistry, physics or even math.
One way to keep learning beyond the classroom is to watch YouTube videos. I learned to make a t-shirt quilt, how to grill a great steak, and how to put together 10 outfits with one dress on YouTube.
Another way to keep on learning is to listen to The Great Courses. You can learn from college professors and experts about everything from public speaking to gardening to electronics. Here are some more of their listings: Everyday Gourmet, The Mathematics of Games and Puzzles, The American Civil War, Great Tours: Greece and Turkey, Nutrition Made Clear, How to Listen to and Understand Great Music and Fundamentals of Photography.
I was pleased to find out that Audible offers over 400 of the Great Courses. Normally, the audio courses cost about $20-$40 each. I can get one each month using one of my Audible credits.
Read The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. It is a guide to the classical education you never had.
The chapters include: Wrestling with Books, Keeping a Journal, Reading Through History with the Novel, Autobiography and Memoir, Tales of Historians, Reading Through History with Drama and The Poets and their Poems.
At the end of each chapter is an annotated bibliography of recommended reading.
Others ways to expand your mind:
Local Lifelong Learning Programs
Art Workshops at the Public Library
Free College Course if you are over 60
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment