3/27/15

Rice and Peas

This is how Don and I knew we were meant for each other: neither one of us liked peas, Lima beans or mushrooms when we met.

I went for years without eating these three foods. But, over time, my palate changed, and now I can tolerate peas and mushrooms. Lima beans will forever be banned.

I can't eat peas by the spoonful, but mixed into casseroles or sprinkled on other dishes, they are just fine.

I want to share a recipe I found on Food Network to use as a side dish. It was very good, and it had just the right amount of peas.

White Rice with Green Peas

3 T. vegetable oil
1 cup raw basmati rice
1 t. salt
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup frozen baby peas

Heat oil in medium heavy saucepan over low heat. Add rice and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until onion softens slightly. Add water, stir, cover, and cook over lowest possible heat for 20-25 minutes until rice is almost done. Stir in peas. Turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment