Thursday, July 20, 2017

My Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Life

I don't think I've said too much about my dietary changes in the past year. Last September, I embarked on a new way of eating. I totally cut out foods containing gluten and dairy.

Why would I do such a drastic thing?

For as long as I can remember, I had stomach aches and irritable bowel issues on occasion. I never knew what caused them, and they didn't happen frequently enough for me to do anything about it.

Then, sometime in the middle of 2015, I noticed that the episodes were becoming more frequent. By the beginning of 2016, I was getting sick about twice a week. It was interfering with my life, so I had to take action.

My doctor put me on antacids, which made things worse. Then I went to see a random doctor because I couldn't get in to see my regular doctor. He said quite simply, "I think it is something you are eating." I should have thought of that myself, but I didn't.

For two weeks, I went on the Low-FODMAP diet which pretty much eliminates all food except air. And I also started taking a probiotic.

I began to feel better right away. After two weeks, I was allowed to add back one food at a time to see what was causing an issue. I knew dairy was an issue for sure. I really didn't eat that much of it before, but I decided not to eat it at all. The other thing I was suspicious of was wheat. Whenever I would have a sandwich or pizza or pasta I would not feel well. So I did not add that back.

I added everything back except those two things, and I have not had one stomach ache or IBS episode in almost a year. This means I cannot eat conventional bread, pizza, pasta, or desserts. But I really haven't had much of a desire for them at all.

I've been getting along just fine eating fruits, veggies, meat, fish, eggs, rice, potatoes, dark chocolate, nuts, gluten-free oats, and beans among other things. I've also discovered that I'm sort of following what is known as a Paleo diet. Some Paleo followers don't eat dairy and some do. Some don't eat beans and some do. Some don't eat any grains at all. But the Paleo cookbooks have many recipes that work for me, so I checked a stack of them out of the library. I am compiling a cookbook of recipes Don and I will both enjoy.

When we go out, I usually eat a salad with chicken or salmon on top. I can always find something that works.

I'm just so thankful and thrilled that I don't have to worry about getting sick on a regular basis any more. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found the cause of your issues!

    ReplyDelete