Monday, January 16, 2017

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

My mom used to make stuffed cabbage rolls when I was a kid, and I loved them. I've never made them because they seemed like such a bother. But when I found this recipe for "unstuffed" cabbage rolls, I said to myself - "now that's a recipe for me!" All the same flavors without having to roll anything up.

This recipe did not call for rice, but next time, I think I will add some of my Trader Joe's brown rice to the mix.

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 (14.5) ounce can diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. salt

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add garlic and continue to cook 1 minute.

Add chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment