Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Reading Challenge

It's been three days since my last post, so I thought I'd better get one out here before I get a text from Pam. She always kicks me in the rear end if I miss a few days! She's my blog accountability partner.


Before Christmas, Katherine asked me if I wanted to do the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2017 Reading Challenge with her. Of course I said YES!

There are two different options for the challenge. One is called "Reading for Fun" and the other is called "Reading for Growth." We both chose the latter one. I guess we aren't much fun!

I went through the categories and wrote down a probable book for each one. I can always change my mind later. Here is what I will likely read:

A Newbery Award or Honor book: The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

A book that's more than 600 pages: Nicholas and Alexandra: The Classic Account of the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty by Robert Massie

A book of poetry, a play, or an essay collection: Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays by Joan Didion

A book of any genre that addresses current events: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander and Cornel West

An immigrant story: The Mango Bride by Marivi Soliven

A book published before you were born: To Sir, With Love by E. R. Braithwaite

Three books by the same author: The Water is Wide, South of Broad, and  A Lowcountry Heart by Pat Conroy

A book by an #ownvoices or #diversebooks author: Wonder by R. J. Palacio

A book with an unreliable narrator or ambiguous ending: The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

A Pulitzer Prize or National Book Award winner: News of the World by Paulette Jiles

A book nominated for an award in 2017: (Yet to be determined)

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie and I are also doing this book challenge. However, we are reading for fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Let me know what you end up reading!

      Delete
  2. I definitely need to read more this year so I'm going to do it too! I'm going to go with the fun list!

    ReplyDelete