Friday, December 16, 2016

Roast Beast

Every year for Christmas day, Don's mom would make a whole beef tenderloin for the family. It became a tradition that everyone looked forward to.

Now, I continue the tradition by making this dish just the way she did - by coating the meat with salt and garlic powder. We call it roast beast because that is what it looks like, especially when still raw. It looks like its own animal that could get up and walk off the cutting board.

I was a little vague on the cooking instructions, but when purchasing my tenderloin at Mazzulo's this year, the owner handed me her recipe for a perfectly cooked piece of meat. This is not something you want to mess up. It is not cheap. However, it is less than taking eight people out to a restaurant.

Here is the recipe I used this year:

Roast Beef Tenderloin
1 whole beef tenderloin roast
salt
pepper
Any other favorite seasoning (we use garlic powder)

Remove roast from refrigerator 1-2 hours before cooking and rub in your seasonings.

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.

Place roast in a shallow open pan. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and leave in for 30 additional minutes.

It is very important not to open the oven door during the whole cooking time.

Your roast will be done to perfection! The center part will be more rare, and the ends will be more done, making everyone happy. Slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! I nixed the catering idea and ordered my tenderloins for pick up on Saturday. I'm trying this!!

    ReplyDelete