Monday, October 17, 2016

Easy Potato Leek Soup

 
Leeks have been one of the scary ingredients I have avoided all my life. Every recipe I've encountered that called for leeks made a big deal about how dirty and gritty and hard to clean they are. Well, I finally got up the courage to try them in this soup, and you know what? They aren't that big of a deal. Leeks are just over-sized scallions. They are kind of dirty. But I just rinsed them three times in the bowl of my salad spinner and they were fine. I was surprised how they made my eyes tear up, though. I should have worn my onion goggles.

This soup was so easy and it is really tasty. I adapted it from Cook's Illustrated "The Best 30-Minute Recipe" cookbook. Yum!

Easy Potato Leek Soup

2  32-ounce containers of low-sodium chicken broth
5  medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 t. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
4 T. unsalted butter
6 medium leeks
2 garlic cloves, minced

Prepare the leeks first by cutting off the roots and the dark green leaves. Slice the trimmed leeks in half lengthwise, then cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. Rinse the leeks thoroughly to remove dirt and sand.

Bring broth, potato cubes, thyme and 1/2 t. salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook, covered, while you saute the leeks.

In a large dutch oven, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add garlic and leeks. Cook covered until leeks are wilted and soft, about 10 minutes.

Add broth mixture to leek mixture and simmer until potatoes are tender - about 5 minutes.

Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment