Monday, September 12, 2016

The Nightingale

I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It's the story of two sisters who live in France during World War II and how they survive in difference circumstances.

Viann is the older sister who lives in Carriveau (Loire Valley) in her family's summer home with her daughter, Sophie, and her husband who goes off to fight in the war. German officers board at her house, yet she manages to save and hide around 20 French Jewish children in a nearby convent.

Isabelle is only 18 at the start of the war. She leaves her father's apartment in Paris, and walks all the way to Carriveau to stay with Viann until she joins the French Resistance. Her assignment is to guide downed American, British and Canadian airmen to safety over the Pyrenees Mountains. Her code name is "The Nightingale."

I give this book five stars. It was heartbreaking at times. I certainly shed some tears, but I loved the story. The author's descriptions made me feel like I was right there with them during the war. What the French people went through was horrendous. How they survived, I do not know. It wasn't a true story, but it was based on real events. I highly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment