Saturday, August 6, 2016

Tangled Webs

Don and I spent Friday and Saturday again in Marion, Indiana helping Katherine and Josh get settled in their new house. Don's jobs were to install a basement door, patch holes in the walls, and install a garbage disposal.

Katherine, Josh and I spent most of our time cleaning the basement and unpacking the kitchen.

The first time we visited their new house, we noticed that the basement was pretty damp and musty smelling.  I've researched ways to correct this problem. You could say I went overboard with my ammo. We brought a shop vac, charcoal, kitty litter, baking soda, vinegar, Damp-Rid and Fresh Wave.

 The first thing (besides adding a basement door) was to use a shop vac to suck up all the spiders and cobwebs in the ceiling rafters. This is a nasty job that requires and face mask and ear plugs. Don usually does this job, but he was busy, and I wanted to show him I was brave, so I did it.

I made sure I stood behind the sections I was shop-vac-ing because I had a feeling things might fall down on my head. I was right. Several times, when I hit a big web, the big spider who made the web fell from the ceiling to capture what disturbed his slumber. That would be me. I promptly sucked the spiders up into the shop vac and when on my merry way.

While I eliminated cobwebs, Katherine swept the floor. It's amazing how much dirt and debris can be on an old basement floor. She swept up spiders too, and they kept running out of her dirt piles.

All this spider sweeping made us have spider dreams last night. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw cobwebs and spiders, and Katherine had a nightmare about them that woke her up.

I'm happy to report that the musty smell is pretty much under control now.

No comments:

Post a Comment