Monday, August 22, 2016

Anne of Green Gables

I never read Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery when I was growing up. I've never even seen the movies that were made from the story, so I did not know what to expect from this book.

Well, I really enjoyed this sweet story. Anne had such a great outlook on life. And I could really relate to Marilla, her adoptive mother who was about my age.

Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, a brother and sister pair living at Green Gables farm, wanted to take in an orphan boy to help Matthew with chores. But there was a mix up in communication, and they mistakenly received an orphan girl. They didn't have the heart to send her back, so Matthew and Marilla became parents to a spunky 11-year-old, red-headed girl.

What I liked most about the book was that it transported me into a much simpler time. It made me long for days when you had to run for the doctor, and the most exciting thing that could happen was having a friend over for tea.

Maybe it was because I read this book for the first time at age 57, but I loved Marilla as much as Anne. I loved the way she instructed Anne and turned her into a young lady. She made me laugh out loud sometimes when she tried to keep a straight face while listening to Anne explain her most recent peril. And at the end of the book, I cried with Marilla as she realized Anne had grown up much too soon.

I give this classic almost 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend you watch the 3 movies! They are in my top 20 favorite movies of all time!!!

    ReplyDelete