Thursday, July 21, 2016

Tzatziki

You know that yogurt sauce served alongside Gyros in a Greek restaurant? Or the sauce you sometimes get with your Kibbeh or lamb at a Lebanese restaurant?

Well, it is called Tzatziki (pronounced zat-ZEE-key), and I made it tonight. I was actually craving it even though I didn't have any Gyros or Kibbeh in the house.

I made it, and I ate it with potato chips. I can attest to the fact that it tastes great even with those.

Here is the recipe which I adapted slightly from one on the Food Network:

Tzatziki

1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
1 English cucumber
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T. chopped fresh dill (if you don't like dill, you can use basil or mint)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil (optional)

Place yogurt in a medium-sized bowl.
Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out any seeds. Grate cucumber.
Place grated cucumber in a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl.
Sprinkle with 1/4 t. salt.
Let sit for 10 minutes, then press excess moisture out.
Mix cucumber in with yogurt.
Smash garlic in a garlic press and add to mixture.
Add lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, 1/4 t. salt and dash of pepper.
Drizzle in a little olive oil if desired.
Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors meld.

1 comment:

  1. We love it with our stuffed grape leaves, too!

    ReplyDelete