Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Swiss Chard

Heidi brought me some Swiss chard yesterday. Her mom grew it in her garden.

I had never eaten Swiss chard because I thought of it as one of those scary vegetables like collard greens, bok choy, and dandelion greens.

There's a first time for everything, so I ticked this one off my list. What do you know, it's not that scary after all. If you like spinach, you will love Swiss chard. It tastes almost just like it.

Here is how I cooked it:

I had two large leaves and one medium size leaf.

1. Cut the center stem out and discard (or you can cook it too).
2. Slice the leaves into 1/2 inch wide ribbons.

3. Wash & dry Swiss chard in a salad spinner.
 In a pan that has a lid, melt a little butter and a little olive oil.

4. Add Swiss chard and stir to coat.
5. Cover pan and cook until tender (about 5-8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
6. Squeeze a little lemon juice on top and season with salt to taste.
It reduces down to a much smaller amount like spinach.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make some!! HJM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good in soup too!! :D

    ReplyDelete