Thursday, July 28, 2016

My Name is Lucy Barton

My Name is Lucy Barton is the first book I've read by Elizabeth Strout. She also wrote Olive Kitteridge, which won the Pulitzer Prize, and The Burgess Boys.

This book got mixed reviews. Maybe because I had not read the other two books, I had nothing to compare it to, but I give this book four stars.

The reason I liked the book is because the main character's feelings came across as very honest and real. Lucy tells her story mainly while recovering in the hospital from a simple operation that had gone bad.

The story goes back and forth between scenes from her difficult childhood to the present. Lucy had been estranged from her family for many years, but her mother came to visit her for a few days of her hospital stay. While her mother sat at the foot of her bed talking about gossip and the weather, Lucy tried to work through memories and emotions of her childhood which was spent living in her uncle's garage, being ridiculed for being poor, and being locked in her father's pickup truck.

Lucy will not confront her mother about these things because she longs for her mother's affection and love. The story was heartbreaking at times, but it was Lucy's story, and she told it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment