Friday, July 8, 2016

Americanah

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was supposed to be my book club's selection for July, but after I started reading it, the book got moved to September. I still finished it because I found it to be fascinating.

Ifemelu grows up in Nigeria where she and her boyfriend, Obinze fall in love. When she has the opportunity to study as a college student abroad in America, the plan was that he would join her when he was able to get his papers. For various reasons, that never happened, so their lives went in different directions.

What I found fascinating was the commentary on what it is like being an African-American in America as opposed to what it is like being an African in America.

After Ifemelu graduates from college and begins her career, she writes a blog called Raceteenth or Various Observations about American Blacks by a non-American Black. The blog is based on her experiences and observations of race in America.

The love story between Ifemelu and Obinze picks up later in the story when she returns to Nigeria as an Americanah (someone who has lived abroad so long that they no longer see Nigeria in the same way they used to).

This novel is very well written and honest, but it does contain some profanity. I would read it a second time, and I don't say that about many books.

No comments:

Post a Comment