Monday, June 6, 2016

The Turner House

Pam reminded me this morning that I haven't done a blog post in six days. Since I've been home, I have been busy and somehow the blog slipped onto the back burner. Never fear, I am still here.

You would think I could have read several books on our trip given we were in flight about 10  hours going and coming, plus we had two days at sea. But I only managed to complete this one.

I picked it up in the JFK airport before heading to Rome. The Turner House by Angela Flournoy was a National Book Award Finalist, so I figured it had to be good.

I loved this story about an African-American family. The book spans about 50 years, telling how the parents migrated from the south, settled in Detroit, and managed to raise 13 children. Each of the children has his/her own issues to deal with ranging from seeing ghosts to a gambling addiction to overeating.

After Francis Turner (the father) dies and Viola Turner (the mother) becomes ill, the children must decide what will happen to the beloved house on Yarrow Street that they all grew up in. The housing market in 2008 makes the house nearly worthless. Everyone has an opinion whether to sell or hold the house.

It was entertaining and enjoyable. Would give it four out of five stars.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your back. I miss your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps me on my toes to know that there are those who miss me when I'm gone!

      Delete