Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mama Mia's Meat Sauce

Mama Mia! What was I thinking when I bought the ingredients for this recipe? Didn't I realize that five 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes and five 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes and three 12 ounce cans of tomato paste along with 1 1/4 quarts of water would not fit in my largest saucepan? I didn't think I was that bad at math.


When I saw the cans all stacked up on my counter I was wishing I had an electric can opener, but I didn't. My wrist was pretty sore when I was through opening these babies.


Like I said, I didn't have a sauce pan large enough to hold the sauce. It's a good thing I had two that were on the large side. What kind of pan were they talking about when they said "in a large pot?" We're talking  institutional size.

So I made the recipe. Good thing no one was home but me. I got a gasp from Don when he saw how much sauce was in one of the pans. When I showed him the other pan, he about fainted.

All the while I was thinking to myself...this better be good sauce. Thankfully it was.

Mama Mia's Meat Sauce

2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
1 pound lean ground beef
5 yellow onions, chopped
Three 12-ounce cans tomato paste
Five 28-ounce cans plain crushed tomatoes in puree
Five 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes in puree
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 quarts water
1/4 cup minced garlic
10 bay leaves
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. chopped fresh basil or 2 heaping T. dried
3 T. chopped fresh oregano or 2 large T. dried
1/2 bunch parsley leaves (flat leaf) chopped
2 T. kosher salt

In a large pot, cook and stir sausage and beef with onion until meat is brown. Drain fat and add remaining ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and partly cover. Simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves. After sauce has cooled, freeze leftovers.

And you will have lots of leftovers!


2 comments:

  1. Those should keep you "in the sauce" for awhile! You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! Just think how long you'll be able to go before making it again!

    ReplyDelete