Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Bowler

It's funny how one thing leads to another.

Several years ago, Daniel painted a small figurine of a boy holding a bowling ball.  It was painted in bright colors: red, blue, and green.

He must have been tired of looking at it, because he set it out to be sold at our garage sale. No one bought it.

The next thing I knew, Daniel was in the front lawn with his "Bowler" and a can of silver spray paint. He sprayed the entire thing silver. It gave him so much satisfaction that he then looked around for other things to spray paint silver. He was on the verge of becoming a spray paint maniac when he gave up and left the statue in the grass to dry.

We all admired it. It looked so much more valuable in that color.

I don't know whose idea it was, but someone came up with a new tradition: the silver bowler could go to the person in the family who bowled the highest game at any given family bowling outing.

I'm currently in possession of the trophy. Don, Peter and I went bowling on Wednesday, and I had the high score of 151. I've set my prize on top of a bookshelf in my office. I'm very proud of it. We'll see how long I can hold onto it. I know Peter is dying to win it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment