Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

I could never go to the store and find a card that would say the right thing about my father.

After the age of 14, he was absent from my life. He went his own way, abandoning me, my mom and my three siblings.

It was a selfish thing to do.

I was mad at him for many years, at times I even hated him.

It wasn't until I received a call from my aunt telling me my dad was dying that my heart began to soften toward him.

I met with him or talked to him on the phone almost weekly the last six months of his life. By God's grace I was able to forgive him for all the lost years. He was 75 and I was 48.

Oh how I wish I would have been blessed with an awesome dad. One who would have loved me, cared for me, protected me and cherished me. For some reason, I wasn't. But God promises to be a father to the fatherless, and he did that for me.

"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5

No comments:

Post a Comment