Thursday, April 18, 2013

Roller Coaster Rose

Physical therapy takes place on Mondays and Thursdays with Rose.

For the first six weeks, my exercises were passive, which means Don had to do the lifting of my arm, or I had to use a long PVC pipe and use my left arm to lift my right arm. I wasn't allowed to lift it myself.

In Phase II of my recovery, I can lift my arm myself. I liked it better when Don did it.

Anyway, every Monday when I go to Rose, she scares me or makes me cry. She gets that look on her face like I'm never going to get back to normal and she warns me I need to work harder and push myself. Then every Thursday, she pats me on the back and makes me smile by telling me I'm doing great.

It took me awhile to figure out the psychology behind her devices. I believe she does this on purpose. She wants to push me, but at the same time, she doesn't want me to get discouraged.

I call her Roller Coaster Rose because she makes my emotions rise and fall each week. Today was a Thursday, so I'm happy. All is well with my range of motion. I've got three more days to enjoy accolades, because I know on Monday we will be back on the downswing once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment