Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Editorial Calendar


My Life with Riley blog is going to be three years old in June. I just checked the blog statistics, and found out that I've written 780 posts. I've had 25,693 page views from 161 people in the United States and four in Russia. Russia?

I write this blog for myself, really. But I sure hope I'm not boring my small audience. I love the books I've printed out every 100 posts. They are my new scrapbooks. They chronicle my thoughts, ideas, memories, and family events.

The incredible thing about this blog is that I have never once planned ahead. Each day, I try to think of something to write about. If I can't think of anything, I skip that day or fill in with a recipe!

This doesn't mean I haven't wanted to plan ahead. I think planning ahead is a good thing. So I'm going to try to create an editorial calendar. This would contain ideas for the coming days and weeks. I can always change my mind if something exciting happens that day, but if not, I'll already have the start of something to say.

I already use Google Calendar for my daily schedule, so I'll just add a new calendar for the blog. Here's the plan:

1. Plan five posts per week.
2. Come up with ideas for the categories I already write about: family, book reviews, confessions, home & garden, recipes, and of course RILEY!
3. Plug the ideas into days on the calendar.
4. Actually refer to the calendar (this will be the hard part).
5. Enjoy a stress-free week since I don't have to think of what I'm going to write about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment