Friday, February 1, 2013

The Heretic's Daughter

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Diane came for a visit from Virginia. We got to chatting about books as we always do, and she recommended The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. It sounded interesting to me, so I downloaded it on my Kindle before we left for Colorado, and I started reading it on the plane. I finished it in a couple of days.

Would I recommend it? If you like historical fiction, yes. It is very interesting and educational. If you want an uplifting read, then no. It's really kind of depressing.

The story is about the Salem witch trials that took place around 1692. The author is a tenth generation descendant of the main character's mother who was hanged during this horrible time in our nation's history.

The story is told from the perspective of a 10-year old girl whose family is targeted by the community. She and her three brothers were imprisoned along with her mother. The conditions were horrendous to say the least. I don't know how anyone survived.

Like I said, it's not a cheery story, but it was very enlightening.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to check this out. I usually go for happier books, but I find the Salem witch trails fascinating! As a project in one of my History classes, I wrote a journal from the POV of a girl living in Salem during the trials. It was fun to write!

    ReplyDelete