Saturday, February 16, 2013

Make-Shift Hospital Bed

I've been having a terrible time sleeping. After a week in the recliner, I'd had enough. Thursday night, I tried sleeping with a couple of pillows under my head and one under my shoulder and arm, but I woke up after four hours with pain in the range of 6 or 7 on the scale.

I was going to revert back to the recliner last night, but Don wouldn't let me. He said there had to be a better way.

During dinner we discussed the problem. I told him I had researched this, and there was a lady whose husband made her two 6 x 6 inch blocks to lift up the headboard side of her bed. She said it worked great. Don and I both thought of the heavy plastic risers we bought for the kids to lift their dorm beds off the ground. We had four of them in the basement.

So Don lifted  Katherine's twin bed and we slid the risers under. It brought the head of the bed up about six inches. I added a large wedge pillow my friend loaned me and some more pillows. I slept there last night. it wasn't perfect - I still woke up several times with an aching arm, but it was the best sleep I'd had in ten days.

No comments:

Post a Comment