Thursday, January 17, 2013

How to Eat an Elephant

I read somewhere that in order to tackle a large project, it needs to be broken down into tiny steps. Otherwise, the project may seem too overwhelming to even begin.

Don is very good at this, and he has tried to help me figure it out. His brain works in ways my brain does not, so I have been left to my own devices most of the time.That is why my To Do List still has items entered in the year 2006.

My new approach is to take a big project and break it down into 21 steps. For instance, here is my list for redecorating the living room (in no particular order). Seems simple enough.

1. Sit in the living room with a pad of paper and make notes concerning what I like and don't like about the way it is right now.
2. Write down how we will use the room in the future.
3. Decide on a color scheme.
4. Decide what kind of furniture would work in the room.
5. Look through all my decorating books and magazines, getting ideas I like.
6. Decide on a decorating budget.
7. What kind of lighting does the room need?
8. What will the focal point in the room be?
9. Decide what furniture to keep and what furniture to get rid of.
10. Decide on window treatments.
11. Decide on wall color.
12. Shop for large pieces of furniture.
13. Shop for accessories.
14. Remove all furnishings from room and clean top to bottom.
15. Buy paint.
16. Schedule a painter/paint walls.
17. Hang window treatments.
18. Place accessories in room.
19. Remove all furnishings and clean room from top to bottom.
20. Arrange new and old furniture.
21. Sit down, relax, and enjoy the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment