Friday, December 28, 2012

Vitamix

Don got me a blender for Christmas. It's not just any blender, it's a turbo-charged blender that can pulverize kale.

I know it's a practical gift, but I asked for it, so it's OK. As I was opening the box, I knew Peter's eyes were bugging out. This is a toy for big boys like him. He LOVES smoothies.

He's made at least one smoothie every day since we've had it. He shares with me. When he goes back to school, I'll be able to make smoothies of my own.

My favorite so far has been the Kale and Pear Green Smoothie. It was green, green, green, and oh so tasty. Here's the recipe in case you'd like to try it:

Kale and Pear Green Smoothie

1 c. green grapes
1 orange, peeled
1/2 pear, seeded
1 fresh banana, peeled
1 c. kale
1/2 c. water
2 c. ice cubes

Place all ingredients into the container in the order listed and secure the lid.
Select Variable 1.
Turn machine on, and slowly increase speed to variable 10, then High..
Blend for 45 seconds, or until desired smoothness is reached

The key instruction in making this smoothie is the part about securing the lid. You also don't want to fill the container too full. If you don't watch it, you might end up redecorating your kitchen with bananas and kale.

The best part of the Vitamix is the way it cleans itself. When you are finished making the smoothie, you just fill the container with 5 cups of water and one drop of dish soap. Pretend you are making another smoothie, and the Vitamix becomes its own dishwasher. Rinse, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment