Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Optimist

I'm married to a card-carrying member of the Optimist International club. In order to be a member of this club, one has to subscribe to certain beliefs, such as the following:

1. You must believe that the sun will come out tomorrow even if the weather forecast indicates 90% chance of rain.

2. You must believe that it will not snow until December even if it has snowed almost every November since the beginning of time.

3. And you must believe that the Cleveland Indians will win the World Series one year during your lifetime.

I guess it is a good thing to be married to an optimist. I'd rather be married to an optimist than a pessimist like me. I'm actually not a pessimist... just a realist. There is a difference. For instance,

1. I believe that the sun will not come out tomorrow if the educated weathermen tell me there is a 90% chance of rain.

2. I believe that it will snow before December if it has snowed by November almost every year since the beginning of time.

3. And I believe that the Cleveland Indians could win the World Series some day, but the odds are against it happening in my lifetime.

I agree with a man named Gil Stern (whoever he is) who said the following:

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute."

No comments:

Post a Comment