Monday, October 24, 2011

Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina

For dinner tonight, I made Italian pasta with chicken. I had made it before, and all went well. It is very tasty. Tonight, however, I made a mistake. The recipe calls for a can of diced tomatoes, and I accidentally bought "chili ready" diced tomatoes. You can imagine the difference in taste. My Italian pasta turned into Mexican pasta in an instant. I didn't tell Peter, and guess what? He liked it! If you make it yourself, you can choose which way you want to go. I recommend the Italian version. The recipe comes courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis from the Food Network.

Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina

1 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta) - I used Ditalini
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. cubed chicken breast
1/2 c. diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
1 T. butter, plus more for buttering baking pan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, put olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add chicken.. Cook chicken 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic, stirring to combine. Cook until onions are soft and chicken is cooked through. Put chicken mixture in a large bowl. Add drained pasta, mozzarella, diced tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Place mixture into buttered 8 x 8 inch baking dish. In a small bowl mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top of pasta. Dot top with small bits of butter. Bake 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. I'm definitely going to try it when the kids come home!

    ReplyDelete