Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stay Focused

Yesterday, I realized something about myself. It's not a good thing. It is something I need to change. I am sure Don has noticed this about me, but he has never quite pointed it out.

I was reading a book when a light bulb went on in my head. Here's the revelation: I start things and don't finish them, at least not right away. I have project after project going on simultaneously. I do this with books, too. I will start a book, and halfway through, I will start a new one. I usually come back to book A, but not before starting book B and C.

The solution to this problem is to get tough with myself. When I start a project, I need to make myself finish it before moving on. Don is very good at this. He is a master at having a one-track mind. He might have a fiction book and a non-fiction book going at the same time, but he never starts reading a new fiction book before the first one is finished. He ticks away at his To Do list in a very methodical fashion.

I'm testing my discipline right now with a project in my kitchen. It is a top-to-bottom, deep-cleaning project. I made a list of tasks: clean oven, upper cabinets, lower cabinets, island, refrigerator, floor... I'm going to have to stay focused for at least a week, but I am not going to start another project until this one is 100% complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment