Monday, September 5, 2011

Red Velvet Cake

I've always wanted to make a Red Velvet Cake. It sounds so pretty. I'm not much of a cake baker, so this was new territory for me. I found a recipe in a library book, All-Time Best Recipes Betty Crocker, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

The ingredient list called for vinegar, buttermilk, cocoa and red food coloring. It sounded like a strange combination of things, and the red food coloring made me think twice. The recipe wanted me to put in not two drops of it, but two whole 1-ounce bottles! I remember stories about bad things happening to children who ingested red dye #40. Would my cake cause an overdose in those who consumed it?

My fears increased when I saw the color of the cake batter. It looked like a bowl of thick blood. I'll try not to think about that when I fall asleep tonight.

After baking, the red color subdued itself a little. When I asked the family what they thought of my masterpiece, Don said, "It looks evil". But that didn't stop him from having a piece. I tasted a sliver. It was O.K. I used canned cream cheese frosting, so that made it a bit too sweet. Next time, I'd make my own frosting and tone it down a bit.

The evil Red Velvet Cake.

Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. unsweetened baking cocoa
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 T. white vinegar
1 t. vanilla
2 bottles (1 oz. each) red food color
2 eggs

Frosting: 2 containers Betty Crocker Whipped cream cheese frosting (or make your own)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two round cake pans with shortening; lightly flour.

In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients together with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter in pans.

Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans; remove from pans on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Brush off all loose crumbs from cake layers. Place 1 cake layer, bottom side up, on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer, bottom side down. Spread thin layer on sides of cake. Spread remaining frosting evenly on top and sides. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment